Monday, November 21, 2011

Monday Treasures - November 21st, 2011

I've decided to try looking at this a little bit differently this week. For this week's Monday Treasures, I'd like to share with you the top 10 blogs on my Reader that I read most devotedly. To be fair, I decided to actually look into my Reader stats for the last 30 days (oh, the wonders of Google), rather than just tell you the 10 that I think will show up. And here they are:

1. Dollar Store Crafts


This actually surprised me a bit at first, but then I realized that this is likely due to the sheer quantity of posts that this blog makes, and the fact that I try to read most of the post that come, in the order that they come into my feed.

Dollar Store Crafts is a pretty self explanatory blog. The writers find items at Dollars stores, make something new out of them, and post a how-to for all of their readers to try. It is interactive in that readers can send in their own crafts and tutorials, and is set up in a user friendly way that allows readers to search the blog based on budget or keywords. Dollar Store Crafts posts an average or 21.9 posts/week.


2. WoolGatherer

The fact that this blog not only made the top ten but made number 2 really surprised me. Perhaps this is because this is a new blog that I have started following, or perhaps it is because it is a tumblr blog - you don't spend a lot of time on each post - but I hadn't noticed that I was reading much from there.

This blog is composed of a bunch of little pictures and articles found throughout the internet - the type of thing that you would find using StumbleUpon. There is no rhyme or reason attached to what is attached aside from providing entertainment for the reader.

3. RedShirt Knitting

Finding this blog in my top ten list doesn't surprise me the least. Between the Sims Sunday posts, her cost/egg for the year analysis (she raises her own chickens), her cats and her knitting, as well as many other great personal posts, the blog's author has kept me reeled in for some time now. (Unfortunately Google will not tell me how long I have been reading this blog... but I know it's been since 2009 sometime...)

4. PostSecret

I'm sure PostSecret's presence on this list won't surprise anyone. But for those who don't know what PostSecret is... have you been living under a rock? No... sorry. Here is the description from their site:

"PostSecret is an ongoing community art project where people mail
in their secrets anonymously on one side of a homemade postcard."

While the PostCards sent are often mildly disturbing, there is something reassuring about reading peoples' secrets every week. 


5. Saskatoon SPCA Foster Blog

Now, this is one that may be new to many of you. I'm not sure how many people know this or how many cities do this, but Saskatoon's SPCA (animal shelter) has a blog where they update readers about how the mama cats and baby kittens are doing as they are fostered out into different homes. Not only does this let you see a little bit about how the SPCA works, but it also lets you have an 'inside look' at the cats if you are thinking about adopting. Once we have moved into our own place I'm hoping that Gilles will consent to having a second cat in the house. If this comes to be, I will likely use this venue to adopt so that I have an idea what the kitten's personality is first.


6. Angie All The Way


This blog is a little bit different from the others that I have shared before, in that it is a personal weight loss blog. The blog speaks specifically to her trials and successes losing weight, and does not dabble in the commercial like the other blogs that I have made mention of. Angie's story is quite incredible - she worked her way from almost 300 lbs down to 170 lbs, and is now working her weight down again post-pregnancy. She also has lots of great tools for weight loss as well as other fun links and pictures on her site.


7. Auntie E's Knits

This blog goes completely the opposite direction of all others on this list, aside from RedShirt Knitting. It is a primarily a knitting blog, but the author also blogs about her alpacas, her garden, photography, and other aspects of her life.


8. Subversive Cross-Stitch


This is a funny one. This blog features cross-stitch, but not your ordinary samplers and flowers and beautiful things. No sir. This is subversive cross-stitch. The site features creations such as "You are a smelly pirate hooker", "bite me", and "candy ass". Oddly, this site does not seem to work properly in my reader, so I just check the site whenever my reader notifies me that there is nothing new from the site.

9. Hyperbole and a Half

Hyperbole and a Half is a cartoon blog that makes spoof on every day life - everything from raising kids to depression. Essentially, the cartoon makes fun of itself and its writer in a round about way, while providing entertainment to the readers.


10. Ooey Gooey Knits

Another knitting site, this one focuses primarily on the knits themselves with little to no personal content. There are lots of great projects on this site and it is a good place to go to look for knitting inspiration (aside from Ravelry, of course).


Interestingly, my reader also informs me that:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

November 30th, 2011 - Present

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

2009 - Present My Weight Ticker