Monday, September 26, 2011

Monday Treasures - September 26th, 2011

One of the most resounding thoughts in my mind over the past week has been that I miss summer. True, summer only officially blew its last breath on Friday, but as per my usual self, I'm digging my claws in and begging, pleading for summer to stay. See, I am my most comfortable when it is about 29 degrees celsius outside. Which means I am cold in spring, fall and winter. And I hate being cold. Plus, there is no other time of year that speaks to so much freedom and such a carefree outlook than summer does.

So, I've decided to use Summer as my topic. This week I am featuring artists from the website deviantART. I am giving no regard to medium, just posting what catches my eye, in the order that it catches my eye. This is in no way a list of what I like most to what I like list - it is just as I see them. Enjoy.

1. Summer - juxxo




This photo captures the essence of what summer is to me. Time spent at the lake, relaxing with family and friends. No worries about time, or responsibilities. Careless, carefree. I look at this picture - the sun going down with the boy still diving into the lake, and am transported. (Photo NFS)

2. Summer Delight - A-l-a-s-s-e-a



The beauty in this photo collage is outstanding. Every once in a while while camping you will see a lone lantern floating across the sky. I have never seen anything quite so breathtaking as this Polish festival. According to the artist's description, there were 11,000 lanterns lit that night. I can't help but wonder how they keep them under control? (Photo collage NFS)

3. Summer Cocktail - iuneWind


While this is abstract art, I can see the cocktails in this photoshop very clearly. Let's see... cosmopolitan, martini, strawberry daiquiri... I'm drooling. Photo for sale here, price dependent on size.

4. Summer Summer Summer - noiry

(Click to see larger image)

This cartoon literally made me laugh out loud. The drawings are great, and the cartoon is really well done. I especially like how serious the strip begins, and how it then jumps into such a comical note. (Print NFS)

5. Summer - Krawat93


As a girl who grew up on a farm, part of summer will always be harvest. Whether it be wheat, drum, lentils, canola, chickpeas, ... whatever, summer wouldn't be complete without the combines working away in the field, the clattering of the grain in the auger, and the humming of drying fans. (Photo NFS)

6. Little Feather - yngasctmagfi


While this definitely isn't what we look like on the outside, this is how I feel when Gilles and I go camping. Everything in the world is wonderful. Everything in the world is right. We are the world. I just love the expression on the woman's face - she looks like she couldn't be happier. Photo for sale here, $19.99, add $66.00 if you would like it framed.

7. Sand Castle - Suzoku42


Click for a more detailed view. Seriously. While I can honestly say I've never built something this... wow..., building sandcastles is one of my more anticipated activities during the summer. Granted, my "sand castles" are usually less than a foot tall, and more of my time is spent trying to get the ants to "enter the castle properly" than actually building it... but still. (Photo NFS)

8. Asleep on the Beach - Uchihafan445


I love to read at the beach. Admittedly, like this poor fellow, I do usually fall asleep with book in hand, but what a better way to relax? :) As long as no sunburns are involved. I love the creativity in this cute picture. (Photo NFS)

9. Sandbanks Dunes - Ellisetr


Of course, the summer staples are flip flops and sunglasses. While I cannot wear either of these items at work, I can say that I do not wear socks ALL SUMMER. :D (Photo NFS)

10. Downtown Saskatoon HDR - SLCGrad2k


Finally, a picture of Saskatoon. I love my city, and it comes to life in the summer. There are tons of festivals and activities, not to mention the many "nature" paths, and places to meet and relax. (Photo NFS)

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for Featuring me!!

    -Uchihafan445

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, thank you for using my picture! (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. except I think the link to my dA is broken ):

    ReplyDelete
  4. Visiting you here from DA. A wonderful collection of thoughts and images, I couldn't help but agree with most everything you have here.

    I'm so glad you found my photo, and shared my thoughts of it. To see this makes my heart a little warmer :) I photograph these things to share with those who can't be around in our little communities, with hopes of sharing the love of one another and the world we hold in hopes to share the feelings with others. I'm glad you noticed the look on her, it was a priceless moment to me

    ReplyDelete
  5. @my name is ellise Oh... sorry Ellise! There was a typo in the address. You should find it working properly now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Kamin Day

    Thank you! I'm glad that we are on the same page with your picture. I often worry that adding the little captions as reasons why I chose to feature each piece could be problematic, especially if the artist does not agree with my assumptions or interpretation of their work. I am happy to hear that you approve!

    ReplyDelete

November 30th, 2011 - Present

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

2009 - Present My Weight Ticker