Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Farewell to Summer

While the official start of fall isn't until Friday, I can't help but think that summer has come to its close. The leaves are turning, our office has been decorated for fall, and the temperatures have fallen below 0 degrees C. a few times now. Granted, the weather forecast is calling for highs of 26-28 degrees here for the rest of the week, but it seems like that is summer's last kicking attempt not to be shorn away with the tilt of the earth.

We said our official goodbyes to summer over the weekend, and went up to Pierce Lake (Meadow Lake area)  for one last camping weekend with some friends. It was the first time I have ever packed to go camping, and intentionally not brought flip flops or a swim suit.


The weekend was a blast. I didn't bother worrying about calorie counting, and while I am paying for it now, it was worth it. It was great being able to spend time with some of our friends, and the weather during the day was great the whole weekend.


I was fascinated by all of the tall, dead trees standing stoically above the forest line. Upon asking one of my friends from the area, she informed me that the Loon Lake area suffers from brush fires almost annually, and that they are the remnants.


We were tenting, so we anticipated that it would be cold, as it had been freezing overnight in the past week. As it was, the weekend was a bit warmer overnight. The first night we were actually hot in our tent, which was a sigh of relief. The second night wasn't the same story though - I didn't sleep solidly until the sun came up, and warmed up the air in our tent a little.


But was it worth it? Definitely. It was my first experience with the area, and I had a lot of fun. We hope to return next summer, when it is a little warmer.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

November 30th, 2011 - Present

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

2009 - Present My Weight Ticker