Monday, January 10, 2011

Christmas in Plural

Gilles and I spent our last Christmas as a ‘two entities’ this year, and in doing so spent the actual Christmas apart.

On the 23rd, I left for Gravelbourg where I celebrated Christmas with my relatives from my Dad’s side of the family. Dad grew up with six siblings, five of which went on to marry and have a minimum of one child, so this was quite an affair. On this side of the family we draw names for the exchange, in order to allow the gift we give to be both personal and to keep Christmas as inexpensive as possible. I had my cousin Brigitte this year, and I bought her three etched glass Christmas ornaments from a local craft fair. The ornaments were diamond in shape, with a “chipped look” etched edge. On of the ornaments was a horse in the sun, one was a horse head, and one was musical notes. I also made Memere (my dad’s mom) a scrapbook-style ‘Brag book’. I wasn’t able to find rings big enough (know where I can find 5″ rings anyone?) so it ended up being two rings. The book itself is about six inches square, and designed so that it has pieces sticking out all over the place. I did take a picture of this… but Sasktel is being mean to me and won’t let me access my phone pictures online right now.

We also exchanged gifts among my immediate family. For my mom I bought a handmade pottery butter dish, in a nice deep green. (She didn’t know what it was at first, and it was very amusing). I bought my brother a squash raquet and a pair of winter gloves, and my sister a sweater (which was too small so I exchanged it for an in-store credit for her later on). Gilles and I went together and bought my dad a 1 TB external hard-drive. Ironically, he had just bought the exact same one two weeks prior, so I ended up returning the hard drive later on and topping up the amount so I could give him a $100 gift card for Futureshop.

And what did I get? Well I forgot to mention in my last post that we got spoiled by Elsie and Nolan for Christmas this year. We got a cookbook, a Habs travel mug, some Habs Christmas balls, a stuffed Christmas cat, some tea, a mug, and a Chapters (Indigo) gift card for sure… Hoo boy, I’m sure I’m forgetting at least one thing too.

From my brother I got Glee Season 1 part 2 (he wanted to get me both part 1 and 2, but couldn’t find part 1 anywhere). He also got me a travel mug that plugs into the cigarette jack in my car to stay warm, which is really cool.



From my sister I got an amazing teal and black scarf, and the board game Yatzee! The scarf below looks very similar to the one she got me, except mine has a bit more of a rich look (softer, thicker, shinier?) and is flowered instead of checkered.



I got a black Black and Decker coffee machine with a timer from my parents for Christmas (+ love!), a Kobo e-reader, (++ love!) and a Reitman’s gift card!

From Gilles I got seasons 6 and 7 of Gilmore Girls, to complete my set :)

From my cousin Christa, I got a wool “mohawk” hat. It looks like the one below, but in cream with dark brown on it.



Memere also gave a gift for both Gilles and I – $50 and a two decks of Coca-Cola cards!

On December 27 I met Gilles in Regina, where he had been for his mom’s sides’ Christmas. They did a Christmas exchange there, and Gilles got a Saskatchewan Roughrider duffel bag, and a set of four hurricane glasses. I absolutely love the glasses, they look like this:



Gilles’ Memere surprised me with a gift when I got there as well (the same as she had given Gilles) – A few pairs of socks, a lotto ticket, and $50!

We had only an hour in Regina, and then Gilles joined me as we headed on to Tisdale for my Mom’s side of the family’s Christmas.

We had a Chinese gift exchange there as well. I gave a desktop picture holder, that held 4 albums. It is wooden, about three inches deep by six wide, by four high. Gilles gave the  2011 ‘Ripley’s Believe it or Not’ book (see below). It is sort of like the Guiness book of World Records books, except instead of records, it just holds really weird things.



Gilles recieved a $20 Sport Chek gift card (Michael’s gift), and I got three ‘country-style’ winter pictures and a package of assorted teas. I also got $10, a tube of Pringles (which I gave to Gilles), and a pair of hand-knitted socks from my grandmother.

On the 29th, we left Tisdale and went down to Riverhurst, where we celebrated Christmas and new years with Gilles’ dad’s side of the family. We spent our days playing many, many games, including hockey, sledding, and a lot of Magic the Gathering and Settlers of Catan. We had a Christmas exchange on the 30th. Gilles gave a ‘Polly the Insulting Talking Parrot’ (seen below), which says things like “Polly wants a cracker. Polly wants a cracker. Give Polly a fucking cracker!” and “Who’s the pretty Polly… Who’s the pretty Polly… … … Not you lardass!”, and a book of “sex positions for old people”. As you can tell, this Christmas is a very different one from the others that we attended! The gift that I brought was two pairs of boxers, (one pair had the Koolaid man on drugs, and the other had the words “My fucking boxers” written all over them), a tie that says “Kiss me, it’s Christmas!” and a sticker that says “There is no life without coffee”. From the exchange, Gilles got a wooden incense holder complete with incense, and I got a bag with: 2 bags of popcorn, a container of After 8 sticks, the movie ‘The BlindSide’, and a neat water bottle.
We returned home on January 2nd. First we went to Lindsay and Kahleigh’s and dropped off their Christmas presents (they had left for Christmas already when we dropped off the others).
I made Kahleigh a green and silver necklace, with a little heart at the end of a silver chain and a couple green beads further up. I gave Lindsay some “Fred” items: Tipsy Toes icecubes, Gin and Titonic ice cube maker, and Chimpsticks. (see below).



Gilles bought Kahleigh some chocolates, a hot chocolate maker, and some fuzzy socks, and Lindsay some shot classes and rocks glasses.

 Then, we had a date night, as it was Gilles’ last night with me before school. We went for supper at Kelsey’s, and then went out to the movie ‘The Tourist’. (Loved it!)

All in all it was a very busy, very fun Holiday season, during which we both got very spoiled!
The map in ‘girl colours’ below shows my routing for the holidays, and the ‘boy colours’ one shows Gilles’!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

November 30th, 2011 - Present

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

2009 - Present My Weight Ticker