Friday, October 1, 2010

The Nightmare Before Christmas



How appropriate.

People who are like me (routinely biting off more than they can chew) know what I’m talking about. October is the season for… what? Stress. Panic. A feeling of overwhelmingness.

This year is no different.

I broke down and cried last night. People, I broke down and cried because I couldn’t find my day planner for three days. Straw on the camel’s back, right? (For those who don’t know the story – see here. It is one of Aesop’s Fables.)

Anyway, I have been completely overwhelmed. Totally and completely. Between being crazily busy at work, trying to keep up in my classes, still trying to unpack, trying to keep a clean house (groceries, laundry, housecleaning, etc!), attempting to have a social life, and all that, I’m tuckered out.

What makes it all a bit better though, is that I do love fall. I love crunching the leaves under my feet. I love all the colourful leaves. I love raking up the leaves and putting them in pumpkin garbage bags – because I know that soon there will be more leaves anyway. Fall is like a fresh layer of snow, that never gets dirty.

Fall means pumpkin pie, and mashed potatoes, and stuffing. It means turkey, and gravy, and wine. It means dressing up and pretending to be someone else for a day - not just escapism through reading but in your own life.

It means people getting grumpy because four ‘holidays’ are mushed up into the stores at once: Halloween, Thanksgiving, Remembrance Day, Christmas. (Which as a marketer, I find amusing in a sadistic sort of way).
It means no more worring about the weather and if my parents will get their harvest done.

I hate fall, and I hate the stress that it brings to my life. But most of all? I love fall.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

November 30th, 2011 - Present

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

2009 - Present My Weight Ticker